It’s been hot and humid here in Jacksonville the last week. People have been doing a lot of complaining, including me. As humans, we have a tendency to look at the bad more than the good. So I thought with August nearing, maybe we need a reminder of all the blessings we do have, including air conditioning.
In Philippians 4:11-12, God wants us to be happy in all our circumstances. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
Five blessings. That’s all you need to come up with. And little doubt you can come up with five things God has blessed you with. I know for a fact most of you have clean, running water. That’s more than half the people in the world. In case you’re having trouble, I’ll go first.
1. God has blessed me with healthy children. In fact, I can’t really recall the last time any of us have had something like the flu;
2. In May I received my first grandchild who we consider a miracle. I’m sure you saw that one coming. Didn’t you? For those who don’t know, my daughter was told for years (even from fertility doctors) she’d never have a child;
3. I live in a house with a solid roof over my head. For years my roof leaked, but last September, God gave me a new one.
4. I have plenty of food. Not just rice and beans either. I have fruits, vegetables, red meat, and salmon. Good food. And yes, even some bad.
5. I have a good stable job. Working as a paralegal means, even if something happens where I am currently employed, there’s a good chance I can find work again quite easily.
Those are my blessings. Now it’s your turn. Give me the first five things you can think of. I imagine if you try real hard, you can come up with a lot more.
This might be a good exercise to do whenever we feel like life is against us. God wants us to be joyful and to look at our blessings daily. Some are so common, we don’t even think of them as blessings. These include being able to see what God has created or listen to the sounds in the backyard.
Send me your list. I’d like to help you celebrate what God has given you. I say we make this a week of truly thanking God for what he has blessed us with.
Are you in?