The Ten Commandments were given by God to Moses in Exodus 20. It never hurts to hear them again. And God spoke all these words:
2. You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. Don’t we have a tendency to admire our own works or things we make with our own hands more than we do God?
3. You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name. Most people think this means don’t curse. But it really means you should never use God’s name to move yourself forward or to make yourself look better.
4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. God wants us to rest. He knows that we cannot work all the time and the body needs some down time.
5. Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. That doesn’t mean if your parents are doing something wrong, or ask you to do something against God, you should do it. In some instances, you might even have to distance yourself from them. It just means to respect them even if they’re doing wrong.
6. You shall not murder. This isn’t just about killing people. It’s also about killing other people’s souls and turning them away from God.
8. You shall not steal. And yes, walking away with a pen from work is stealing.
9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. If you lie once and get away with it, you will have an easier time lying the next time.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor. Be grateful for what God has blessed you with.
If you or someone you know are in need of prayer this week, please let us know. We’d be more than happy to pray for you.
And if this post moved you in some way, please feel free to share it.