The other morning, I was watching a boy riding his bike. He swerved back and forth, raising his hands in the air as he rode up and down the street. He was doing something we, as adults, rarely do. Having fun.
As a kid, did you ever spin around until you made yourself dizzy? Or you’d laugh until your side ached? Laughter is something we should do at least once a day.
Sometimes it appears from the looks on some Christians’ faces that we aren’t supposed to smile. We all know someone like this. Their mouths are downturned, and they look like they’ve drank a glass of vinegar. I call these people “sourpuss Christians,” because they seem to find nothing that makes them happy.
However, God wants us to have fun. He wants us to feel joy in our lives. Psalm 118:24 reads, This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
As Christians, we should be happy. If the Lord’s love, grace, and forgiveness aren’t enough to make you
giddy, here are a few other reasons.
- Laughter reduces stress. A good belly laugh can help you relax, thereby putting you in a better mood.
- Laughter releases infectious-fighting antibodies that boost your immune system. Why take a pill with terrible side affects when you can laugh instead?
- The Mayo Clinic claims laughter “enhances your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulating your heart, lungs, and muscles.”
- Laughter can also relieve pain. Again, safer than any medication the doctor would prescribe.
- Humor is infectious. Have you ever watched a video of a baby giggling? It’s hard not to laugh along with the child. The reason these videos are so popular is because they make people feel better.
I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it’s the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It’s probably the most important thing in a person. – Audrey Hepborn
So start laughing. Read the comics or a funny story. Hang out with humorous people for a day. I
guarantee by the evening, you’ll feel God’s joy throughout.
And then tomorrow, have another glass full. Laughter is one of the few ways to get drunk without worrying about a ticket.
If you or someone you know are in need of prayer this week, please let us know. We’d be more than happy to pray for you.
And if this post moved you in some way, please feel free to share it.