We’ve all tried New Year’s resolutions that have failed. We’ve given something up during Lent. (This year, mine was bread. Thought I was going to die the first day I realized I couldn’t eat a hamburger.) Some have accomplished their goal, some haven’t. Once Easter came, most of us grabbed hold of what we gave up and enjoyed too much of what we’d been missing.
We rejoice during Christmas and Easter, but until the next Christmas, we, as Christians, don’t act like we have anything to celebrate. We don’t have to let Easter be the end. In fact, with Jesus’ resurrection, it should be the beginning.
Let today be the start of your new year when it comes to your faith.
Have a renewal like that mentioned in Psalm 51:10-12, Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit. Start a new spirit-walk with Jesus today, using Him as your example to rebuild your faith. The following are ways that can help you begin:
- Read your Bible every day. Go to https://www.backtothebible.org/one-year-reading-plans where it has many ways you can read the Bible in one year. You can choose historically, chronologically, Old and New Testament together, or more.
- Pray more. Build a prayer wall or journal. List people you pray for consistently like your spouse and children then add others to it daily, as needed.
- Watch more Godly programs and movies. Refuse to fall for what Hollywood considers good entertainment and find media which can be watched by the entire family.
- Volunteer to help around your church or at a charity;
- Join a Bible study group to dig deeper into your faith. It’ll also get you better acquainted with other believers.
Easter is more than a reason to eat ham and get together with family. It’s about resurrection. We should make it about more than just Jesus rising from the dead. Christians need to be awakened as well.
Each day God has given you is a reason to be joyful. You should be thankful every day for the greatest gift you’ve received. Two of the best ways to show your gratitude is to spend time with Him and to help others.
Renewal requires opening yourself up to new ways of thinking and feeling. – Deborah Day, mental health counselor
We need to rethink the day after Easter. Look at it as a new beginning for yourself as a Christian. Move forward with your walk with God. Renew your faith and get more focused on becoming the person He wants you to be.
Let Easter be your official new year. The beginning of how you look at yourself and your Savior.
If you or someone you know is in need of prayer this week, please leave a comment. We’d be more than happy to pray for you. And if this post moved you in some way, please feel free to share it.